Potassium Monopersulfate | Non-Chlorine Shock
 

Phone : 954-442-1066

Follow me on FaceBook Tweet Me Google Me Pin Me e-mail Me

Potassium Monopersulfate, Non-Chlorine Shock

Potassium Monopersulfate, Non-chlorine Shock

Potassium Monopersulfate is a non-chlorine shock, It will break the chlorine-ammonia bond formed when chlorine combines with ammonia, without increasing the chlorine level of the swimming pool.

Shocking is the introduction of a large amount of a chemical that causes contaminants in the pool to be oxidized (burned off). The most common contaminant is chloramines, which is the combination of chlorine and ammonia. These compounds are strong eye irritants and produce a strong chlorine odor. They are eliminated by oxidation. Oxidation can be accomplished by several means, the most common is the introduction of a chlorine shock, the second is non-chlorine shock. Non-Chlorine shock provides tremendous versatility for pool and spa owners as well as pool professionals, it is the oxidizer of choice, where the introduction of chlorine, which increases chlorine levels, may be irritating to some bathers.

Advantages of Using a non-chlorine Shock:

Dissolves quickly and will not bleach or fade liners.
It works well with chlorine, bromine and other alternate sanitizers.
A contaminant free pool, allows the sanitizer to work more efficiently.
Enhances water clarity.

Water Balance:

Regardless of the type of shock used, it is important to maintain proper water balance to protect equipment and pool surfaces from corrosion and scaling. Some shocks containing Potassium Monopersulfate are acidic and periodic checking of the alkalinity and pH should be performed. Potassium Monopersulfate, does not contain calcium and hence will not increase calcium levels or cloud the water like some calcium based shocks

 

Links to Other Water Chemistry Topics

Calcium Deposits

Chlorine Products

Glossary of Chemical Terms

Potassium Monopersulfate

Saturation Index

Spa Disinfectants

Water Testing